Shuyu Sun, Ph.D. and P.E.
Co-Director, Center for Subsurface Imaging and Fluid Modeling consortium (CSIM)
Principal Investigator, Computational Transport Phenomena Laboratory (CTPL)
Associate Professor, Earth Sciences and Engineering
Associate Professor, Applied Mathematics and Computational Science
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Mail box # 2077, Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
I love applications of mathematics for solving engineering and scientific problems, and I especially enjoy new science discoveries through computational experiments. I am a founding faculty member jointly appointed by the two divisions of MCSE and PSE at KAUST. See my brief bio, and my web at KAUST faculty list.
[Publication page is no longer maintained. Please see my CV above for the publication list.]
Computational thermodynamics (based on Peng-Robinson EOS and molecular simulation) of reservoir fluids (2009 – present)
Finite element simulation of compositional multiphase flow in heterogeneous media (2008 – present)
Adaptive discontinuous Galerkin (DG) methods for flow and reactive transport in porous media (2001-present): A poster on DG.
Velocity postprocessing/projections; scheme compatibility for flow and transport; and streamline tracing on general meshes (2003-present): A poster on streamlines.
Mathematical models and numerical algorithms for growth factor-induced angiogenesis (2003-2006): A poster on angiogenesis.
Parallel mixed finite element methods for reactive transport (2000-2001): IPARS-TRCHEM module (a software on multiphase reactive transport in porous media).
Parallel and grid computing (1999-2000): Parssim/ADR/Globus project | NAPCI Alpha Project "Multicomponent Models for Energy and the Environment".
ErSE 305 (Multiphase Flows in Porous Media), Fall 2010.
ErSE 202/EnSE 224 (Computational Groundwater Hydrology), Spring 2010.
ErSE 216 (Inverse Problems) (jointly taught with Ibrahim Hoteit), Fall 2009.
* Together with Professor James Liu, I will chair the Workshop of Flow and Transport: Modeling, Simulations and Algorithms, to be held at Barcelon, Spain, June 5-7, 2013. (Call for papers now!)
* Together with Professor James Liu, I will chair the Workshop of Flow and Transport: Modeling, Simulations and Algorithms, held at Omaha, Nebraska, USA, June 4-6, 2012.
* Together with Professor James Liu, I will chair the Workshop of Flow and Transport: Computational Challenges, to be held at Tsukuba, Japan, June 1 - 3, 2011.
* I organized the 2010 KAUST WEP Workshop (WE 245) on “Advanced Finite Element Methods with Applications in Numerical Reservoir Simulation”, held at KAUST, Thuwal, Saudi Arabia, January 30 - February 1, 2010.
* I co-chaired the 4th International Workshop on Simulation of Multiphysics Multiscale Systems within the International Conference on Computational Science which was held in Beijing, China from May 27-30, 2007.
* Together with Professors Mary F. Wheeler and Ivan Yotov, I co-chaired the minisymposium of “Multiscale and physics-preserving algorithms for multiphase flow, transport, and reaction in porous media” in the SIAM Conference on Mathematical & Computational Issues in the Geosciences which was held in Santa Fe, USA, March 19-22, 2007.
Copyright 1999-2010 Shuyu Sun
(Last modified: 2/1/2010. Email me for questions or comments.)